Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Greater the Struggle

After 18 months and 3 weeks of missionary service, I hugged my mom for the first time.  

Tears fell from my eyes as we laughed and hugged.

Sometimes we have moments in our lives where we want to quit-to give up, "throw in the towel", or just walk away.  A wise man told me, "The chiefest cause of failure is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."

I had many moments on my mission where I felt I could give no more.  It was hard, and I was often exhausted.  But I knew I could not give up.  I had to go on-for my family, my future, and my God.

I was kept motivated as I reminded myself of the joy I would feel as I would be embraced in the arms of my mother and father.  And then on August 8, 2012 I felt that joy.  I knew I had worked hard, and ever second was worth it.


Now I need to remember what that embrace feels like.  It was the embrace of accomplishment and growth.  It was the love of a family, and the tears of joy.

When things have gotten hard since I have been home, I remind myself that tears of sorrow come.  That's okay.  But tears of joy come when we are triumphant.

"The greater the struggle, the more glorious the triumph."
-The Butterfly Circus

My goal this week is to be triumphant.

Stay tuned... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment